Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Etsy Challenge



I have had an etsy shop for several years and, considering I have never paid for advertizing, I have done pretty well for myself.

I do all my own banner designs, packaging, photography...everything. It's hard to do everything yourself, but it's a lot more cost efficient. (I'm cheap.) I really want to get more sales without resorting to paid advertizing, but it's kind of hard to have sales when your shop is so empty. Seriously, when did I stop making new items? Back in the early 2000's I had at least 60 different items, so logically I had more sales, not I have about a dozen and sales have become sluggish.

Long story short, I need to restock my shop. Rather than waste more money re-listing items that never sold in the first place, I want to revamp things and make tons of new items.

I have come up with a little challenge for myself. 


THE RULES OF MY ETSY CHALLENGE: 
  1. No new art supplies. You have to use art and craft materials you already have.
  2. 1 new item must be listed each week. You can list more, but this gives a nice buffer.
  3. No paid advertizing. Find ways to get the word out without costing yourself a fortune.

So I have to list (at least) one new item every week in my etsy shop. Sounds easy enough, and I already got started. I only came up with this idea two weeks ago, so I have listed two new items.

Week #2: Sushi Studs
In a way....both of these are kind of cheating. These items are revamped versions of things I had made and sold in the past. My skills have gotten a lot better, and my finished work is a lot cleaner, so they look much better than before, but they aren't exactly new items. 

I am trying to use up materials I already have to create new items, but my creativity has been...well, non existent. I need to be inspired! I am trying out different mediums and I might even add some digital download files to my shop. I have tons of teaching materials I can list. 

Bah, I feel overwhelmed in daily life and uninspired in my art. I really need a swift kick in the pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment