Sunday, October 25, 2015

Starburst Messenger Bag - A Crafting Throw Back


I was writing up a food review over on my other blog, Sometimes Foodie, and I referenced this bag I made when I was in high school. I figured I'd link to it so that if anyone was curious they could see what it looked like, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet.

Maybe I never posted it? Or maybe whatever site I used in high school is no longer around, anyway... I still had it in my closet, and I have been neglecting this blog, so I figured I'd post this crafty throwback here. This way I can link to it while still posting something "new" over here. (Which is long overdue!)

I cut out hearts and strawberries out of certain flavors, I thought I was so cool.

This thing is over 10 years old! Some of these flavors aren't even around anymore and the wrapper designs have definitely changed! (Which is pretty cool.)

I made it back when I was in high school, so I was anywhere from 15-17 years old and I had never sewn before. All things considered, I did a pretty good job! I mean, it did last over 10 years!

I made this bag using:
  • Starburst Wrappers
  • Pink felt & Cardboard (to give shape to the bottom of bag) 
  • Clear Vinyl
  • Black Thread
  • Webbing
  • D-rings
  • Black Bias Tape 
  • Sewing Machine
I remember I had a TON of cherry wrappers, so I made the entire bottom of the bag red.

So dirty, and such rough stitching. but hey, not bad for being over a decade old. Plus, you can see my dog in the background.
I always thought I'd try and make a newer version, since I am way better at sewing now that I know what I'm doing, but I never got around to it. Maybe I'll eventually make a clutch or something smaller instead, because this messenger bag was pretty large...but I have no free time. So this might end up being a pipe dream... ;_;



No comments:

Post a Comment