Friday, October 3, 2014

Sign Designs from my Day Job!

This one was my favorite


Working as a graphic designer in a print shop isn't very glamorous, I rarely get the chance to be creative, so when I get a bit of freedom, I like to have a bit of fun with it. I got the chance to make a few lawn signs for the business, and here's what I came up with.

Really basic, but it looks great when it's out by the road.

Working at a print shop, a lot of the jobs are very functional and not so much creative. Usually clients want me to recreate a preexisting design, or they want something very generic. I try my best to argue against things and suggest more fun and whimsical designs but, as my boss says, "We do stupid and we do ugly. If that's what the client wants." Getting creative means more design time, which raises the cost, so a lot of clients prefer the bare minimum. With the current state of the economy I can't really blame them, but I prefer to do the jobs that give me a bit more freedom.

Woo wiggly text....

What I just described is a pretty common problem for designers. We have pie-in-the-sky dreams of designing really fun and interesting things, but a lot of design work (Like book layouts and album art) are obsolete now. My day job is great. I get a lot of resources that help me with my own design work, It pays the bills, and my bosses are nice, but a little part of me does die inside when client after client treats me like a humanized Vista Print.

Again, it isn't much design-wise, but it looks good on the side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment