Friday, December 7, 2012

(Grilled) General Tso's Chicken


General Tso's chicken is one of my favorite foods to order in. It's a staple at every Chinese food restaurant, but each one does it differently. Sometimes my order arrives in a savory brown sauce, and other times it comes in a tangy red.

I wanted to make the tangy (red sauce) version at home, but a lot of the recipes I found produced the brown sauce that was savory, not tangy.

Eventually I saw someone comment on a recipe, saying that the red sauce involved ketchup. Ketchup?! In my Chinese food? No way.


I decided to try it out and see how it went, I made a few batches and finally got to this one that works out perfectly AND uses ketchup! Who knew? (I didn't) 

This is only MY version of General Tso's sauce, I'm not saying this is THE version used in restaurants, this is just something I whipped up on my own to feed my take-out cravings.


 (My Version) General Tso's Sauce

1 teaspoon - minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon - minced ginger

1/4 teaspoon - sesame oil  (a little goes a long way)

1 tablespoon - Rice Vinegar

2 teaspoons - Sweet Chili Sauce

1 packet - soy sauce

1 teaspoon - sriracha  (add more or less depending on how spicy you want it)

2 tablespoons - ketchup

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. I make 2 batches worth. One I used to marinate my raw chicken, once marinated I cook it up with a grill pan. The other, I heat up in a pan on the stove. I cook it just long enough that it thickens up, and then I add my chopped grilled chicken to it. I make sure everything is coated with delicious sauce, and it's done!


 ENJOY~!

1 comment: